It Runs in My Family Review
Where there is no vision, the people perish: they cast off restraint. Proverbs 29:18
• Have a vision of what you want your family to look like, otherwise your family will be shaped by culture, instead of God.
• What do I want the relationships in my family to look like?
• What do I want my future family to look like? (HINT - it starts with the person you choose as your spouse.)
• What do we want to run in our family?
• Look through a spiritual lens for your family.
Christian families have the same experiences as other families, but they don’t go through them the same way.
The following is not a complete list, but when these are missing, families struggle to love one another.
Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. Proverbs 3:3
• Kindness shows you think about a person when you aren't with them.
• Kindness reflects thoughtfulness of the other person.
And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. Mark 11:25
• Forgiveness doesn’t mean there aren’t not consequences or lack of boundaries.
• When we forgive we don’t allow the hurt or the offense to create bitterness in us.
But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” Hebrews 3:13
• Encourage potential, dreams, and abilities.
• Notice the good things people do and express your appreciation.
• It’s hard to appreciate what we take for granted.
• Appreciation creates respect.
For by Him all things were created in heaven and on earth, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities; all things were created and exist through Him and for Him, and in Him all things hold together. His is the controlling, cohesive force of the universe. Colossians 1:15-18
• Generosity is linked to who (God) we believe is the supplier of all things.
• Selfish people become critical people.
• For the source of your pleasure is not in my performance or the sacrifices I might offer to you.
The fountain of your pleasure is found in the sacrifice of my shattered heart before you. Psalm 51:16-17
• Without honesty you can’t have a firm footing in a relationship.
• If you’re unsure if what is in front of you is real or not, you’ll become insecure.
The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. Psalm 145:18 (NIV)
• Pursue honesty, not perfection.
• We are all sinners. Our spouse, kids and parents are sinners.
Spend time together.
So I came to hate life because everything done here under the sun is so troubling. Everything is meaningless—like chasing the wind. Ecclesiastes 2:
• Experience something together. (food, travel, events)
• Celebration creates elevation.
• Deliberate time together celebrating. Big or small, make celebrating a non-negotiable. Celebration creates elevation for either people, a moment or accomplishment.